Students in the Spotlight<--Back

Hydrologic Sciences Academic Concentration ,

What is it?

The Hydrologic Sciences Academic Concentration (HSAC) is a unique interdisciplinary program that is designed to broaden the skills of science and engineering students who are interested in all aspects of water. The program requirements were developed in recognition of the diversity in academic backgrounds and professional goals of the students, so the Concentration emphasizes broad and rigorous training in a wide range of areas of expertise. Flexibility in course selection allows students to develop individualized academic plans of study to meet their academic and professional goals, the overall goals of the Concentration, and the goals of the students’ own degree programs.

UF science or engineering graduate students with interest in and/or career goals related to water should consider applying. Students should have an interest in broadening their learning through interdisciplinary coursework throughout their graduate studies.

PhD students with previous graduate coursework meeting the syllabus criteria of eligible courses may be able to transfer in those credits for use toward their HSAC-required coursework.

The HSAC program:
  • Is open to both MS and PhD students
  • Requires no extra coursework for your planned degree, if integrated into your Plan of Study
  • Designates the Concentration on your transcript

What is required?

The program requires graduate students to complete a core curriculum in Hydrologic Sciences, which comprises courses in the following six topics:

Topic 1: Subsurface HydrologyTopic 2: Surface Hydrology
Topic 3: Hydrologic ChemistryTopic 4: Hydrologic Ecology
Topic 5: Hydrologic Analysis and TechniquesTopic 6: Hydrologic Policy and Management

Masters students are expected to complete at least 12 credit hours:
  • One course from Topic 1
  • One course from Topic 2
  • One course from two of the four remaining topics
PhD students are expected to complete at least 18 credit hours:
  • One course from each of the six topics

How do you apply?

  1. Choose an advisor who is already a member of HSAC, or ask your advisor to join HSAC.
  2. Develop a Plan of Study that meets HSAC’s degree requirements.
  3. Choose your supervisory committee. When submitting your supervisory committee form to your department’s Academic Advising Office, designate the Concentration using Track Code ‘HDS’ and ask them to enter this into the GIMS system.
  4. Submit the HSAC application by going to our website and clicking on ‘Click Here to Apply!’
Please contact your advisor if you are interested in HSAC. You may also email us with any questions you may have about program.